Sunday, May 16, 2010

“I think I exist.” (259)

This quote is essentially a reworking of Descartes' “I think therefore I am.” With it, Orwell shows that Winston is conscious of what is going on around him: he is not yet part of the brainwashed masses. Obviously Descartes thought philosophically – a line of thought that would be frowned upon by the government of Oceania. For Winston to be thinking in such a way shows that his resistance to The Party is more than superficial – he doesn't disagree just for the sake of disagreeing or because someone has told him to, but because he understands the issues and situation at hand.

SOURCE: "Rene Descartes: 'I Think Therefore I Am'" Read Books Online Free - Romance Novels Online. Web. 16 May 2010. http://www.publicbookshelf.com/public_html/Outline_of_Great_Books_Volume_I/ithinkth_bga.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment